Friday, December 9, 2011

Holy Conversation

Normally, I did not share my private conversation with my Spiritual Director with anyone, but I was asked a poignant question today that invites sharing.

As we discussed and shared my journey of faith, I spoke of how much more meaningful Advent becomes each year as I age. My summarized sharing on Advent I posted on Facebook. That went like this: "The older I get the more and more I relish what Advent is all about! Bring it on- Baby Jesus- because you arrived in human form once we can trust the promise that you will come again and that time you will indeed: FIX everything, judge us with equity, and put an end to war, disease, hunger, lonliness, pain, suffering, ALS, cancer, brain tumors, mental illness, etc. etc...! Just thinking about it gets me all excited! Hallelujah!"

My director asked the thought-provoking question, "So what part of Advent has the greatest meaning for you?" It was a simple question really, but brought me directly into the stare of the newborn Christ child.

Here it is, my one sentence answer... (and I wonder what yours is)... "hope in darkness". Hope in darkness is the gift of the advent of God which brings me the greatest meaning and purpose in my life.

No comments: