Thursday, December 15, 2011

Grybai

Here it is... the long awaited Grybai, a Lithuanian mushroom cookie! My father's mother's side of the family immigrated from there just a few generations ago. Apparently, Lithuanian's prior to World War II were an agricultural society who truly enjoyed their veggies and thus would 'honor' them by re-creating them in their pastries! Mushrooms were and are a delicacy in this part of the world.
You'd be surprised to note that actual fungus is not included in the list of ingredients... but lots of unusual spices and peels are. Like cloves, nutmeg, cardamon, cinnamon, ginger, orange peel, and lemon peel. Even honey makes the list.
I don't make these every year... and when I do it becomes a labor of love for my father (he always gets the most cookies to eat).
I tell folks who receive a cookie, "You don't have to like it. But I will be insulted if you do not try it." The taste is very unusual and less sugary sweet than most American cookies.
So to my Lithuanian family... all those Zanewicz's and Kallock's, Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Todd Outcalt said...

These were very tasty, actually. But then I like gingerbread when most people don't. I could eat a whole house and I love biting the heads off of gingerbread men. Makes me feel tough.