Friday, January 23, 2009

Labyrinth-ing

On a Calvary Women's Retreat several years ago, one of our church ladies asked me how I was first introduced to labyrinths. A book, is the simple answer. Actually it was a lent devotional book by one of my favorite Catholic authors.

I think I have my Uncle Father Mike (he's a Catholic priest) to blame or praise for first sharing that book with me. Some time during my years in serminary at Duke, Uncle Father Mike had this little gem shipped to me as a present.

Edward Hays, the author of The Lenten Labyrinth: Daily Reflections For the Journey of Lent, does a wonderful job of weaving the themes of lent and labyrinths together with scripture. This is a well-worn book in my collection. In fact, I just wandered over to my bookshelf and found it! Poor thing, it will need a new binding soon.

From my introduction through this little devotional, I then began the quest to find labyrinths to walk and experience. At that time I had no idea there was a labyrinth locater on the world wide web- http://labyrinthlocator.com/ I had to ask around and then try to find these weird things.

And in those early days I often got lost finding a labyrinth to walk. That has been the irony because labyrinths aren't supposed to get you lost! (A little labyrinth humor!)

Visit the site above. You'll find our church's labyrinth on there. Go walk one for yourself.

No comments: