Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January Busier than Advent

After doing craziness for years now, the unsettling conclusion has come to me that my month of January is just gosh darn busier than Advent.  Weird, isn't it?!  Epiphany trumps Advent, but it does.

Between the beginning of a new confirmation class, multiple adult classes starting, our Master's Class series, New Member luncheons, publication of our annual Lent devotional, and a few key church administrative meetings- January is crammed to the max!  At least my January is.  Not sure about yours.

And there is no getting around the busyness.  With the holidays behind us, it is the push-push of a new year and the looming work of Lent that fills my January.  sigh.  Not much to do about it, I suppose.  Just ride the wave and hope to land on the shoreline without too much salt water in my gut. 

Somewhere in the middle of Lent will be this brief respite... usually right after the Confirmation retreat and before Holy Week.   Until then I am attempting to find or reuse some coping strategies.  Deep breathing is an excellent strategy!  So are jokes!  And most of all, surrounding myself with amazing people to help fill in the gaps of my faults and failures.  Good leaders surround themselves with great people!

Actually, what I really need to do (in order to de-stress) is scout out teams for our March Madness bracket contest among the staff.  For the past three years that we enjoyed this friendly competition (no monies or betting allowed), I have held the trophy 2 out of 3 years!  I now have a rep to uphold.

Good thing I have ESPN this season... but, not sure when I'll get a chance to watch with all this work in front of me. 

Oh well, at least today is the next to the last day of my busiest month of the year.  Thank goodness for small favors like another January is soon to be over.

No comments: