Thursday, February 7, 2013

Generosity Looks Like...

On the Sunday before Lent begins I am preaching on a text that usually appears on the Advent lectionary.  Weird, I know.  Also, I am preaching on stewardship, giving, and tithing during a time in which we are NOT actively seeking a capital or operating campaign drive.  Double weird, I know.

But, here is the thing, I believe, that anytime is a good time to talk about money and giving and God.  So why not do it on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday when we are reminded we are dust?!  And why not use a text for Advent prior to Lent?  And why not talking about tithing and what it means and why we do it when we're not focused on 'making the budget' or passing a budget or paying off debt. Why not?!

As we were finishing our work on the 2013 Lent Devotional I spent some time looking at pictures of generosity... here is a word picture of generosity.  I liked it very much...

 But sometimes a picture says more...
Here is one that I really thought would be great for our cover art, but then I knew we could not do the color justice...
and finally, these words express so much to me about giving, generosity, and who God calls us to be...
What is your picture of generosity look like?

No comments: