Monday, February 25, 2013

The Monday Bask

Shhh... don't tell, but I am supposed to be at a continuing education conference not home with my cup of tea and my laptop.  Don't worry the conference is always a good one and the people there (my United Methodist clergy colleagues are terrific). It is just that I am worn out from the weekend with the confirmands, I am behind in all things on the home front, and juggling childcare and piano lesson today around this schedule fell apart.  So, I am trying to work smarter by not making life harder. 

Rarely, do I enjoy a Monday morning to bask in how God has moved through, in spite of, and around me during a weekend.  But today, I am basking in God's glow. 

Reteat Basking:
WOW- what a weekend!  Fascinating young people with amazing young personalities, questions, concerns, passions and eagerness to know and understand the workings of God.  Very curious (and silly) group of young people.  They took to our quiet time of prayer like fish to water!  Slurping up some one-on-one God time! 

Earlier in the evening during our lesson on worship one of our young ladies registered her complaint that our silent prayer time was not long enough. Ha!  Apparently, she needs more conversation time with God and was mad that I or Pastor Todd interupt her too soon. 

Well, I asked her, after our 15 minutes of silent prayer if she got all her praying done; she high-fived me a: YES!

I must brag on our mentors who always impress and amaze me that they willingly give up a bed, a shower and their families to join us on retreat.  Not only are they there... but what they add from their faith and their knowledge and wisdom are such GIFTS! 

Then, there are the silly moments when we laugh so hard we cry and my sides hurt.  And my all time favorite part of the weekend is asking our students about their lives and what is happening in their worlds.  I have learned even more about the culture of middle school and what our boys and our girls experience.  It is intriguing what they worry about and what they are still sheltered from... it has changed how I pray for them.

Calvary Devotion Basking:
Since I have been gone and forgot to take my Lent Devotional from Calvary with me on retreat, I have been catching up on my reading this morning.  Then, I just sat and re-read the whole devotional (again).  And I am filled up to have the privilege to know these people who write such awesome faith stories! Listening to these stories fills my heart so much!

And more people have talked to me or asked me about the Feburary 22 devotion than I was prepared for... yet another opportunity to brag on God.

Great Tithe Experiment Basking:
Since we launched the Great Tithe Experiment I have been praying for a specific number of families that would chosoe to take on the experiment. After last week I was really discouraged and worried we would not even come close to our minimum goal.

Imagine my joy, when returning from retreat, to find three more registration forms in my box that put us right over our goal!  Yes, I did a happy squeal and hugged a few students (who had no idea what I was happy about).

So, this morning I am basking... like a lizzard in the sun or a sunflower growing in the garden. I am basking in the warmth of God's love.  Feeling the rays of light, hope, joy, and peace settle into my soul so that I am strengthed and healed, but also so that I worship and adore the Giver of all Good and Perfect Gifts!

Celebrate with me...just how good God is!  Bask!

No comments: