Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Transitions

Earlier this month my birthday and Mother's Day fell on the same day (it happens often since I was born so early in the month of May).  Because this was my mother's first Mother's Day without her momma, my Gram, I thought it would nice if we could be together for the day.  Instead of our usual four generations, we were a mighty three generations for worship and a special luncheon.

As if that was not significant enough... little did I know what would happen next. 

My mother has been struggling for several years with a variety of health issues (the story is too long and detailed to go into here).  Let's just sum things up by saying her health and staminia have been compromised.  At the end of April she experienced even more difficulties.  This most recent incident has made it very difficult, if not impossible for her to return to her pastoral duties full time. 

Her worship leadership this past Mother's Day Sunday is now one of the last of her leadership in the pulpit as she is discerning full time disability which will eventually lead her into her full retirement from ministry.  She is now in transition... 

I know she will miss full time ministry as she has thoroughly enjoyed herself and been blessed by the eight congregations she has served!  I also know she is looking forward to the blessings that await in her 'retired' time.  (Actually, we plan on keeping her busy with grandmother duties.)

So today, I pay tribute to my mother and colleague who was ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church the same Annual Conference that I was ordained Deacon- for all her sermons, prayers, baptisms, funerals, weddings, Confirmations, youth ministry, teaching, leadership, VBS, finanical stewardship, passion for mission and evangelism (one of her churches received the Small Church Evangelism Award at Annual Conference) to God be the Glory! 

My mother may transition out of full time ministry but the waters of her baptism will still be upon her... so only when she reaches heaven's entrance will she hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant!  Well done!" 

Until then, the Lord is not done with her ministry...yet!

No comments: