Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Mentor Summer

Because we're past the half way mark of summer (i.e. July 4th) and sliding down into fall activities and the start of school, I've come to the awareness that my summer has two main themes ... 1) transition for our family around my husband's job change, and 2) mentoring.

For some reason unbeknown'st to me I've been asked to serve as a Candidacy Mentor for three different women who are entering ordained ministry in our denomination. Three. (My buddy down the office hallway is mentoring, get this, four!)

Why so many and all at once? I don't know. Are there not enough mentors around the state of Indiana or am I decent at this sort of thing? It could mean I cannot say 'no' very well?!

Whatever the reason, three very different, very smart, and very dynamic women (all attending different seminaries) share God's call upon their lives with me.

I like things that come in threes. Like the Trinity, good sci-fi films (i.e. Star Wars has a pair of trilogies) and triple chocolate layers on cake. My family has three people in it. School House Rock sings a song entitled, Three is a Magic Number! Yes, it is. Yes, it is.

My time is being spent this summer deep in conversations with these ladies. I hope to aid God's grooming and growth in these future leaders, preachers, teachers, justice workers, pastoral care givers, prophets, and shepherds.

Please help me pray for these women. Jesus told us that the harvest is huge and the laborers are few. Yet here are three ready to labor for Him.

Jesus' church needs all the best help we can get...may these women discover the best in themselves as they follow God's direction for their lives.

No comments: