Saturday, July 3, 2010

America's Birthday Parade!

Happy Birthday America!

Why am I fascinated by simple joys like our local parade? Hot sun poured her heat on us as we scrambled into the street collecting tootsie rolls and suckers. My little family had a terrific time! The event was not very complicated, nor fancy. In fact, we knew lots of folks in the parade itself.

Local businesses, churches (including our own), the High School band, political candidates, scouts, American Legion veterans & their families, clowns, corvettes, tractors, old cars, and of course the local fire department, police department & town management complete the over 75 minute Americana festival via Brownsburg, Indiana style.

Maybe I am just a sucker for a parade, I guess. I cry through the Rose Parade (which is on my Bucket List to attend before I die) every year from my leather living room couch. My hubby sacrificed his warmth and sleep so that I had a great spot on the 2006 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade route.

Marching in them during High School was about blisters and dehydration. Attending them with two preschoolers is about candy, candy and more candy! What is not to love about that! ha ha!

Today's parade was special- first time our family attended it together. Diana had the chance to show her Daddy something, not often that happens.

Maybe I like this parade because it is down home local goodness... makes you feel all warm and fuzzy like we actually do live together in a community!

Or it could be the sugar high.

No comments: