Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lights in the Dark

I am weary and angry about the violent domestice homicides that have occurred where I live especially to people I care about. I am tired of children being hungry in the US and elsewhere. I am frustrated with all the emotional and physical suffering that folks endure day after day. It is enough. My eyes are heavy with tears. When is Jesus coming again to fix all this?!!

And then a few nights ago, in the quiet of soft summer evening, my husband and daughter stole a jar from the cupboard (actually one of my favorite glass vases) and proceeded to go fire fly hunting. As dusk settled between our pine trees eight precious lights were captured and carefully stored (along with a lunch of leaves our preschooler provided).

Later, after brushing her teeth and requesting no stories that night, the three of us snuggled in her bed watching the intermitent glow of lights from the jar on her bedside table. Little lights in the darkness... too precious.

Early in the morning we practiced "the catch and release program" by letting all (but one unlucky fellow) go free. We sent light back out into the world.

Maybe that's all we need while we wait on Jesus to finish things- a little light in the darkness.

No comments: