Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why Keep Him?

Last Saturday night lying in bed, darkness covering us, my husband gently whispers-
"So, tell me again, why do we keep him?"

This not so romantic conversation centered on the pooch of our house- Duke. The rock-eating, drippy drinker, and all around annoying furry companion.

My hubbie asked me this question to validate why it is that we tolerate this dog. THIS dog, who while we were at church innocently getting our family photo taken and worshipping, threw up one-fifteenth of a ton of mulch in his kennel. (Yah think- he was put out that he was not included in the family photo op?!)

Nope- his vomiting expedition came from a much dumber reason than that. He ate the mulch because it had all the remains of our grease tray from the grill. (We had cleaned the grill that afternoon) Yes- Duke dog confused mulch with real food. My husband questions the dog's intelligence.

I never said Duke had intelligence. So I am not dissappointed.

Oh- here's the rest of the story. We cleaned it up. We then went out to dinner. (2nd bad family decision of the night.) And Duke threw up again... and laid in it by the time we got home. With my husband swearing, my daughter yelling "Lordy, look what Dukie did!" and me trying to get the dog into the shower without getting vomit on my carpet- made me re-think why it is that we have a pet when a stuffed varmit, or a fish, or another Beanie Baby would suffice.

I am still thinking...

No comments: