Friday, May 22, 2009

Victory in the Garden

Whoopee! Our little family explored our garden area last night. My husband decided the garden needed mulch. I was worried the mulch would inhibit our little plants from shooting up. So there we were, with our tail ends in the air, digging through mulch. And oh- the delight- the glee the sheer happiness when we discovered little bits of green attempting to burst through the mulch!

Our daughter jumped up and down with her fists and arms in the air (she looked like a runner who just finished the New York marathon in record time) chanting over and over again, " Food, Mama! We've got food!"

She shouted it with such enthusiasm, zest and volume that I am sure Child Protection Services will be called because our neighbors now think we are not feeding our daughter- but making her grow her own vegetables! It was a very exciting moment! The dog wagged his entire back end with excitement. I caught a glimpse of a little grin on my husband's face.

To witness something small that you planted in a dark deep place finally break through to light! Wow- a very cool moment that I shall not forget because I laughed so hard (at my daughter's joy) I cried with happiness. "Food, Mama, we're going to have food."

She then proceeded to tell us all about how the plants will grow and what we will eat and how good they will taste. (She never mentioned our contining jobs of weeding and watering and worrying.) Our preschooler did give better play-by-play action about our garden's growth and production than most sportscasters do with an athletic event. I'd love to hear her rendition of God's creation account...now that would be a great garden story-telling.

"and the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known."
C. Austin Miles, 1913 from In the Garden

2 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Congratulations on nurturing the joy of gardening in Diana. Great grandpa Grant would love to hear her glee about having food! Oh how he loved the fresh garden goodies. Can you remember the bushels of carrots we grew when you were a preschooler in Muncie? Enjoy the fun the work will get here soon enough! Love Grandma Linda

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

I don't recall carrots. I remember the huge tomatos at our Butler house.