Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Economics

In the twelfth grade I took a required course in economics. It is my only sojourn into that arena. Given the recent conversations in the news, Wall Street, and Washington, I am trying to recall what I learned that earned me an A on my report card back in the late 1980's.

Now, I don't recall much from class, only that for once in my high school career, I talked back to a teacher. (I was a nerd and bank geek.) My teacher was informing us that nothing is free in the world... and he went on and on and on listing things. His list was endless and his lecture was boring and irritating me to no end. So I muttered (all too loudly so that I could be heard), "Not true, salvation is free."

At that point the entire class stared at me, the teacher stopped mid-sentence, and seemed to burst a blood vessel in his bald scalp. Big pause. (Now I was a nerd, band geek, and Jesus freak- no wonder I wasn't very popular in High School!) He stuttered and stammered for a few moments and then picked up the rhythm of his speech again.

He is right about most things, but I also am right about salvation. it is not a commodity to be bought, sold, or earned. Just received. Thank God that isn't on the market today!

No comments: