Friday, October 3, 2008

Newbie

During my first church appointment out of seminary, my District Superintendent (supervisor) took me to breakfast to check in how life and ministry was going. Over pancakes and hot tea he offered a lot of encouragement and insight.

One of my favorite memories of that free breakfast was his advice about being the new person on staff at a new job. "You have a great excuse for all your mistakes your first year- you are new. Use that excuse wisely and then wise up because year #2 it is up to you!" That is a good reminder about being new somewhere... "Oh, I didn't know that. And now I do." That was great wisdom which I used. Throughout my tenure there, I learned ALOT because of my mistakes, my successes, and my fumbling attempts at forgiveness and reconciliation.

This next week someone new is moving into ministry with us at Calvary. We are excited about welcoming him and his gifts! We are grateful for another set of hands around here to help get ministry accomplished. It will be fun getting to know Andrew and he, in turn, getting to know us.

And as the newbie he gets a 'free ride' on mistakes for a while... I know he will use that wisely and then as my DS said to me, wise up! Andrew comes with wisdom and will grow and gain even more wisdom while serving with us. After all we are in the forgiveness business! And that is a great business to be in!

No comments: