Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Light and Darkness

I did something last night that I haven't done in a long time... boy, was it fun! Stayed up light into the night reading a book I couldn't put down!

In the wee hours with tired eyes I finished reading the new book about/by Mother Teresa, Come, Be My Light. The book is a narration through Mother Teresa's letters. These are her personal letters written to her spiritual directors over the years in which she experiences what St. John of the Cross called, the dark night of the soul. She felt no sense at all of God/Jesus' love for her. No sense of consolation. Just emptyness, dryness, darkness and aridity.

I have always been inspired by Mother Teresa, but now I am even more so. As a spiritual director myself, it was fascinating to peer into her interior life and listen in on her intimate conversations with God.

Very inspiring and thought-provoking. Mother truly is/was/will be considered by the church as yet another mystic.

1 comment:

K.S. said...

Alrighty...I get it, I need to give you your book back.

However, regardless, she still fasinates me. Really a remarkable woman, and her feelings are completely real. That's what I still can't figure out. How did she get that close?

Anyway, Just wanted to say hi as well!
Katie