Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's that time of year

It is that time of year again, here at Calvary, when Faith Statements starting sprouting amongst our confirmation students. Actually, it is faith that is sprouting through the type-written words, personal stories, and favorite scripture verses of the students.

Today, I sat down and read all of the Faith Statements. We have nineteen confirmation students. As is now my annual custom, (having taught confirmation for 11 years in a row), I cry, laugh, marvel, shake my head, and scratch my head in awe and amazement at these sixth and seventh graders.

This year we have an unusual amount of very funny faith statements. How these young people have combined humor and a serious examination of their faith is something to marvel at!

Every year I find myself grateful for what the students have learned from my and our feeble attempts at teaching. And I also make notes of what we have obviously failed to teach effectively. Always more to teaching work to do!

Mostly I sit and watch God's handiwork in these young lives. Each one unique. Each one wired differently spiritually. Each one anointed with different spiritual gifts. I feel so blessed to be in the position I am to witness what God is doing in young men and women's lives. I wish everyone could see what I see...from God's point of view.

Sometimes, as I pray over these students and their faith statements, I catch glimpses of their future... what their walk with the Lord will be like...how they will make it through difficult times...how they will use their spiritual gifts in the betterment of the church...and again I pray prayers of gratitude for how God's spirit continues to move in the world today... This truly is a great time of year!

No comments: