Thursday, April 24, 2008

Something to write about...

Usually I share material in my blog form my life and/or ministry. Not often do I allow you folks into the memoirs of my past, but today it seemed appropriate.

Do you know how powerful the sense of smell is? It is so powerful that it can code a memory into your brain that most likely will survive any sort of brain trauma. Anyhow... on spring days like this one in central Indiana there are certain smells that take me back... in time.

I can recall the smell of my grade school when I lived in Muncie, Indiana. It had a distinct spring odor. Same is true of my other grade schools in Bulter, Pennsylvania and Dubuque, Iowa.

There was a unique smell to our desks, chalk, and the old building themselves that said, "Hey kids, this is spring... can't you smell it? And you know what that means?! Summer is coming. So, drive your teachers nuts by being even more silly in class!"

Yep- that distinct smell of spring that was a warning shot to teachers that there is nothing more than can do to instill knowledge into our brains... only memories of being silly and giggling in class while gazing out the windows into meadows of dandelion fields.

Take a big sniff outside today and see what memories come back to you... just watch where you step.

2 comments:

Mark W said...

I agree. The bible says, "He will bring all things to your rememberance." I think this implies that we have memories that we don't even know about. I have often smelled something and thought, "I haven't thought about that in years."

K.S. said...

Actually, I think Alton Brown said that we actually have some connection to tasting, though our nose. Could be why I don't like bad sents.