Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Blog Process

I thought I would blog today about the role of flexibility in ministry. I planned on sharing my gratitude for the terrific staff I work with and congregation I minister with who were flexible with me this weekend when my family needed me. Flexibility is what makes ministry a movement of the Spirit. (Thanks everyone for moving with the Spirit!)

Then, I realized it was Super Tuesday. It is a voting day for some states in the U.S., but it is more importantly a Tuesday.

And that made me think about one of our kindergarten students who made a statement in chapel this morning after our discussion of Gadarene demoniacs story (see the Gospel of Matthew 9:28-34). We have chapel every Tuesday. He asked, "Are demons smart?"

Wow. Knock me over with a feather. What a terrifically insightful and provactive question. His question made me stop and pause a moment.

My answer on the spot was something like this, "Yes, because they are smart enough to get all of us in trouble and they are smart enough to recognize who Jesus is (and what that means for them), but demons are not smarter than God (who will win ultimately anyway)." He seemed satisfied with that answer.

Don't you marvel at how kindergarten students think theologically?!

No comments: