Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Update on Lenten Sacrifice

I don't know about you, but I am grateful that we are officially at the half way mark of the Lenten Season. The Big Day is arriving closer and closer. So is my date with chocolate.

What I have learned thus far about myself, by sacrificing chocolate during Lent, is that I use the rich dark gooey goodness as a crutch, a treat, a mini-spa moment, and for any other reason I can justify in the moment. I think I need chocolate (and whatever pleasure etc. that it brings me), therefore I crave it.

Wouldn't it be great if we had such a strong indicator for our need for God. Err... maybe that's the point of this whole Lenten sacrifice thingy.

Moments this past week when I needed/craved chocolate and realized how much I needed Someone else:
  • when my baking dish exploded in the oven shattering into a thousand pieces, piercing my roast with tiny bits of glass
  • after my husband read in the paper about changes in his travel schedule
  • when the white shirts turned pink in washing machine
  • after my favorite Basketball team lost 2 in a row
  • as the winter blahs set in and no sunshine was in the forecast

Instead of reaching to the freezer where my bag of dark chocolate goodness resides... I reach out to the One who makes all things new, possible, and is less calories.

2 comments:

K.S. said...

I think that's what the tradition is all about. I gave up looking at sites that had any link to my recent football guy. It's well hard, especially when I often use that inplace of real affections. But it's been good for me. Plus, now that you've inspired me I'm going to pray everytime I think about that certain hunk...LIKE RIGHT NOW Anyway it's a really good thing, to exchange one thing for something completely 100% better....GOD
Was good to chat with you on Sunday!

Mark W said...

An excellent entry.