Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Roots!

Roots.  Everyone has them.

Some times we even claim them!  Ha.

After several years of research, a final push to request official documents, and a bunch of paperwork, my relationship to a veteran the USA's Revolutionary War was confirmed.

I am pictured on the left with my mother, Linda, who was officially inducted at the same time within the Daughters of the American Revolution in Avon, Indiana.

Actually, as I did family research, I discovered we have about three and maybe four veterans of our country's fight for freedom within the family.  I must say that is was delightfully too much fin learning about my family history within the context of our nation's history.  Truly amazing experience!

I find that I am not only moved by the witness, sacrifice and commitment of all our veterans, but of my family's participation in the workings of our nation's history.  The motto of DAR is "Home and Country"

The DAR, founded in 1890 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., is a non-profit, non-political volunteer women's service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and securing America's future through better education for children.



No comments: