Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Lent

I struggled for a bit about what my Lent experience would be like.  Add a devotion?  Abstain from technology?

Without my normal sage advice from my spiritual director, I was left to my own.

Whether I made the conscience decision or the Spirit simply moved... I allowed Lent to be Lent.

I did do some extra devotional reading, but because I was keenly aware that I was still grieving our previous home and community I chose not to abstain from anything.  Seems odd, I know, but it was wise.  My previous spiritual director may be proud of me.

Lent was it's own wilderness for me as a pastoral leader. We were in the midst of two key staff changes, several significant leadership issues, and simply the day-to-day of running a healthy mid-sized congregation.  That was enough!

In fact it was plenty... to draw me deeper into Christ.

Because all of that and more- made be realize how much I need God.  I need Jesus.  I need the Spirit. And I need less, and less, and less of me, myself and I.

Indeed, it was a Holy Season of Lent.

No comments: