Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Why Volunteer?

Soup kitchens, homeless ministries, multiple mission trips, food drives, AIDS care team ministries, worship leadership and visitation in nursing homes, Habitat for Humanity builds and board meetings... I have done them all- as a volunteer.

When I stop and think about it... I have been a volunteer for much longer than I have been ordained.  In fact I could blame my current vocational status on my experiences as a volunteer.  Or better yet on my deeply held belief that giving involves time and hands-in-action.  My farmer-entrepreneur grandfather, Grant Lowe, modeled that for me very well.

Even though my 'work' is directly linked to a non-for-profit, once bitten by the bug of volunteering; there is no going back. Now I volunteer weekly at a local elementary school.  While I have not made the laminating machine explode, I am sure that some of my bulletin boards may be a tad crooked.  The kids don't seem to mind.  And teachers seem grateful for the stacks freshly printed papers to complete and grade.

I overheard one of my clergy colleagues say once, "How can I ask my laity to volunteer in spite of their busy work and family schedules if I do not model that myself.  That is why I volunteer over and beyond what I do as a pastoral leader in our community."  I never thought about that until she said it.  But I have heard the same logic applied to clergy tithers. These pastoral leaders preach stewardship with deep conviction. Hmmm.  May ring true about volunteering as well.

Nevertheless, volunteering gets me out of myself and my world.  It is a great opportunity to make new friends, but also to see the world from another perspective.  It isn't the cure for narcissism, but it is one of the paths toward generosity, freedom, hope, peace, and love.

Years ago our bishop wrote one of his E-Pistles about the difference between being people of the bib and people of the apron.  People of the bib want to be fed and expect others to do for them.  People of the apron seek to serve others. Since then whenever I see an apron I think about how amazing volunteers are. What a cool breed of people!

I enjoy wearing my apron. It's Duke blue, of course.

How about you?

No comments: