Monday, January 6, 2014

Epiphany- A Homemade Worship Service

Yesterday, while the winter storm of 2014 raged our little family huddled together in the living room for our makeshift worship service.  Worship and Sunday School had already been canceled for the morning, but, my kiddo came up with the idea of "home church'.  Haven't told her yet that home church has been around for centuries.

We exercised great trust because our dog served as the usher and he usually eats paper products. A variety of stuffed animals were in attendance (not sure if I can consider them in my overall worship attendance numbers...).

My husband agreed to be our liturgist while my daughter was our worship musician.  She provided a Prelude, Special Music, and Closing Hymn.  Delightfully her closing hymn matched what we would have sung had we been able to attend worship at Calvary. "Go Tell It on the Mountain" was how we were sent forth from our little service.

I led the prayers and, of course, gave a brief homily on the Matthew 2 passage about the wise men traveling to follow the star. Not my best sermon, but not my worst impromptu message either.  Needless to say the point for us was to worship, share in the story of the Magi, and honor the 12th day of the Christmas season as we entered into Epiphany.

Mostly we prayed for all those who had to be out in the weather: police, fire fighters, EMT's, workers who were and are still repairing electrical lines, city and state officials, etc.  And we gave thanks for our warmth, food, and shelter.

The humility and simplicity of our worship buoyed up my heart and provided me with great inner warmth. Now my soul sings, "Glorious now behold him arise; King and God and sacrifice; Alleluia Alleluia, sounds through the earth and skies..."


No comments: