Monday, January 20, 2014

Journal Writing: More Than a Hobby

When two special people in my life chose the same Christmas gift for me...(observe the lovely journals to our left)... I take notice! There is a message here that perhaps I am supposed to be about more writing in 2014.

Or maybe these folks know me really, really well in that I would get a kick out of a journal with lined paper and no other do-dads or kitten pictures or writing in them. I am very peculiar in my journal preferences.

Mostly, I think the Holy Spirit is trying to knock me over the head and write more this new year.  My blogging slowed in 2013; grief can be a heavy thing and a sure fire way to stunt creativity.

I am about to finally finish a journal- my personal writing slowed way down as well in 2013... so now I must choose between these two beauties.

If I get really quiet with these lovely gifts... something else whispers.  There is a treasure beneath the gift of merely writing for the sake of writing.  The invitation, I believe, which is tucked and hidden in these soon-to-be-scribbled-upon pages... is more than mere self-exploration or self-expression.  I sense an invitation to seek the Holy Mystery which is our God-Incarnate and Transcendent.  This is the adventure which will happen between the lines, pages and folds.

Give me a pen- I am ready to start!

No comments: