Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Problem Kids

Every Monday morning I spend about two and a half hours volunteering at my daughter's elementary school. I am nothing more than a glorified secretary-photo-copy lady- bulletin board designer- and red pen grading designee.  In other words, I do the stuff the teacher needs done so that she can do her teaching with the students.  Whew- and she has a lot that needs to be done!

Yesterday I noticed that two of the male students had the desks off in sections of the room by themselves.  Alone.  Within a group.  And facing the wall.

Now, I am familiar with these boys and their antics.  My daughter also gives me detail reports on who got in trouble and how much trouble they got into.

But my heart sank as I saw these guys were now islands onto themselves. (I have no doubt that their behavior got them there.) I do not have a guess about their family life, if they have a faith background or who has custody of who.  But I do know a bit about how they are performing on their school work.  One struggles more than the other, but they both are having huge behavior problems.  And they are on a tight leash, if you know what I mean.

So, when the teacher took the class to the library, I stopped at each desk to return their graded math tests and once there I prayed for students especially the "boy islands".  I prayed for their emotional and spiritual well being. I prayed for loving, strong adults to have a positive impact on their lives.  I prayed that each of these boys would respond to loving, firm kindness and make better choices now so that their futures can continue to be bright.  I usually pray for the students and teachers every time I visit the school, but my prayers were a lot more focused yesterday on those two.

I found it curious that later that morning one of the young men (who has both the hardest time academically as well as behaviorally) initiated a conversation with me.  We had a wonderful visit about superheros and how much I look like my daughter (he thinks that it is funny how much I look like her).  Ha ha!  Little does he know that usually I hear how much she looks like me!

Even today I am praying for all the "problem- trouble-making" kids...

No comments: