Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My New 'Handle'

During my training this afternoon I bumped into, or at least avoided the puddles, of five of my neighbors who were washing their cars.  Imagine the day before Groundhogs' Day folks are walking outside and washing cars?!  What happened to winter?

On my second lap I got to wave at our retired neighbor who excells at neighborhood gossip.  Do you have one of these in your neighborhood?  He has always been fascinated by our family.  That is we fascinate him. 

"What that about beats all... a preacher married to a Indy Car Racing guy?"  was his first meeting with us back in 2006.  And his curiousity into our family has not stopped.  Over our many years of living in community together he has finally graduated to telling me dirty jokes, "But I don't know if I ever did tell this kind o'joke to any of my preachers!"  (By the way I have heard way dirtier jokes from preachers, but I don't dare tell him that!)

His curiosity into my vocation brings up all sorts of comments on religion, politics, and even financial stewardship in the church. One day we decided he had traveled too far into his neighborly nosiness when he chose to discuss sex with my husband and I in our driveway!  Apparently he was keen on understanding our sex life because he was quite dissappointed that we had "not yet popped out another one of those (pointing to my daughter digging up worms in the sidewalk cracks) beauties".  (Please note that I did not inquire into his current sex life.)

I choked on my own spit. 

My husband's counter move was brilliant.  (Eric is my knight in shining armor.) Our neighbor walked away that day with more medical detail into why we did not have another child than he ever wanted to know. 

Yet, our neighbor remains persistent.  This past fall he crowned me with a new nickname after watching us pile out of our new-to-us Ford Mustang convertible.  And I actually kinda like this nickname.  I've been considering that if I ever need a 'handle' (you know a name for the radio or CB) I could use the one he gave me. 

That's right, just call me , "Hot Rod Preacher".

No comments: