Monday, November 7, 2011

Moving & Staying: Itineracy Form

Even though my father was not in the military or the church, my family moved often enough that I attended eight different schools before graduating from high school. We lived in three different states during that time as well. I became very familiar with being the 'new kid' on the block and in the classroom. My last name at the time was very difficult to pronounce... and I am quite good at helping folks learn how to say it from five rows back.

As I look back upon my childhood, some of the moves I thought were fun and intriguing. Other moves I dreaded and made a fuss about to my parents.

I am sure there were aspects of the experiences that grew me as a person, made me what I am today and all that sort of good stuff. So, I find it intriguing that into this same sort of situation I made my way as an adult. Following God's lead into itinerate ministry as an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church. (No one to blame but me and God this time!)

But God has humor... because some times the spiritual growth challenge is to stay where you are and grow there. While Calvary is the second appointment I have served since finishing seminary, the bulk of my years in active ministry have been with this congregation. I am going on...(cough, cough) year twelve. (My tenure on staff has lasted longer than the average marriage in the USA. How sad?!)

My friends from seminary keep sending me their change of address cards... and ask, "Are you still there?" They too are fascinated. We, Methodists, are not known for our long term appointments mostly because of our history and our polity.

But in all honesty, over the past twelve years Calvary has grown and changed so dramatically that it seems as though I am in my 'fourth appointment' here. There were the years I first served here with Harold as our senior pastor at our Green Street location. Then what I call the "the middle years" that included Todd's leadership, my entrance into motherhood, our huge task of relocation and building, my renewal leave, and the 'surge' following the move into the new building. This middle section was so full that it was exhausting.

Now finally this third stage of my ministry has arrived with more subtle challenges and changes. The busynesss of transition and growth has passed (although we are still growing). It is just the raw newness has faded. We have more routine within our congregational life... and are dealing with different struggles and challenges.

When I reflect on all this, I become deeply grateful for the gift of my Renewal Leave. I truly believe that experience is one large reason my minstry has continued to be alive and fresh for as long as I have been appointed here. It is a gift that keeps on giving... to me and to Calvary. (Thank you Lilly Endowment for investing in the tenure of pastors so that congregations can reap the benefits for years to come.)

Many of my colleagues 'jump from appointment to appointment' as a way to 1) move up the ladder of success, or 2) find new excitement or challenges, or 3) because they are looking for a church which is willing to grow, or 4) finding the 'right church' to make the right fit. Sometimes the 'grass is greener' approach is a spiritual illusion that we chase. Other times our denomination transition clergy so much because they are lousy leaders and we just pass one mess onto another congregation without caring for the root problem. I am saddened by all this.

Often times it is most difficult to grow right where you are. (Think about how hard it is for your family to accept how you have grown and changed.) To deepen your rapport within a congregation and it's community takes a different skill set, sharpens other attitudes and behaviors, and simply inspires more prayer... it is a tremendous challenge.

And for me as a pastor and person of faith...staying in one place is a personal growth opportunity because of my itinerate childhood that I have yet to encounter until now.

I feel called and compelled to check the box on my Itineracy Form for another year at Calvary because it is the greater challenge and risk for me to grow. Ironic, isn't it?! And that's why I think God has a sense of humor about following/moving/itineracy/going where you are called.

2 comments:

Todd Outcalt said...

Yes, good insights. And I think itineracy is now also linked closely with context and style. It always helps too when the people are growing and changing along with pastors.

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

Also, we live in such a different era than our 18th centuries fore-fathers/mothers of Methodism too. Pastors moved often then because the community was stable and did not move. Now our congregations move and transition and stability can be found in the leadership. Strange turn of events all around.