Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Goals

Traditionally at this time of year paper and pen are used for the writing of my summer goals exercises. While my first sunburn is not peeling yet, I still have an empty page before me.

Twice a year I write goals. Once in late December anticipating the start of a new year and again at the end of May before June starts. Wait- I just realized I write more goals than that. My District Superintendent required me to write my continuing education goals down this week. And my boss- aka the Donut Man down the hall from me- requires the staff write goals in January.

Even though usually all the goals are not completed I still do this exercise. Why? Am I that addicted to routine? Is it an exercise in self-humiliation? Or am I that much of a Personality Type A, first born, perfectionist, over-ambitious freak?? (You are supposed to say, yes!)

Who knows? And who probably cares... but I still write my goals. And try to attack them like I do my daily To Do List. Crossing off an item gives me a strange thrill even at 40!

Here are my summer goals which involve home, family, self and a bit of ministry thrown in there... (between now and August 16th):



  1. Help Diana read over 200 books in her summer reading programs. (I signed her up for 3 this year!) Most of which she will read on her own or with help. We have to beat last year's record.

  2. I will read over 2,000 pages myself this summer. How's that for continuing education?

  3. Lose the final pounds that I didn't expunge before my big birthday! Which means more exercise in my weekly routine...

  4. Play with my family (this is my best goal and one I know I shall achieve).

  5. Finish Diana's 6th year scrapbook.

  6. Start and finish Eric's Indy Racing League scrapbook.

  7. Write several letters of honor to some very special people and share with them how important they are to me and to God.

  8. Hug my goddaughter as often as possible.

  9. Share inspiring, interesting and challenging sermons/messages with our congregation.

  10. Write creatively every week.

Ten seems to be a workable number... I'll keep you posted.

No comments: