Friday, June 17, 2011

Shopping for Others

Yesterday my daughter announced at dinner, "Momma, we need to go buy more food!" After a few moments I finally understood that she wanted to buy more food for the food collection as a part of SHAKE IT UP CAFE Vacation Bible School. Here's how the conversation went...

"Oh, honey, we brought our food in already."

"I know, but we don't have enough. We need to have 1000!" said Diana emphatically.

"Sweetie, Mommy bought our food in remember?"

At this point she stomped her foot, "No, no no Momma, I want to buy food with my dollars!"

You've never seen a mother move so fast to get her purse and car keys. We drove to the store and as soon as we walked into the grocery store...Satan or temptation or life or narcission took over because my sweet little generous daughter was captivated by an (evil) toy!

"Mommy, how much is it? I want to but that!"

I reminded her of how much she had, how much the food cost, and how many dollars the toy was. It was a pivotal moment. Toy or food. Self or others.

Haven't we all been in that moment... starting off with the best intentions and then distracted (by self or evil or both) away from generosity and self-sacrifice by something new, shiny, fun and for us.

Thank goodness Diana had a mom who kept her on track... she bought the food. Earlier today she earned more dollars so that she could go back and purchase her toy. She did both.

Don't you wish it would work out that way for all of us adults?!