Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Storytelling...that Almost Wasn't

Long ago on a different corner in Lincoln Township of Hendricks County, I began my storytelling career at Marketplace 29 AD (that was our Vacation Bible School back then). Honestly, I cannot remember what summer of late high school or during college I dressed in my first storyteller costume...

Maybe someone from my church can recall... all I know is that it started something in me... telling stories, especially Bible stories. Who does not love a great story told well?!

As I prepared for this year's SHAKE IT UP curriculum, I promptly freaked out because of the material scheduled for today. I was close to hanging up my storytelling costume for good. (But I won't unless there is a young storyteller among us who would relish some practice...).

Leviticus! I mean, really?! A Book of the Law for preschoolers through 5th graders, what are these writers from Cokesbury thinking?! That is as far from narrative as a hot dog is kosher for Shabbot school! Geez. How in the world does a storyteller spice up a chapter of the law (regarding Jewish Feasts and Festivals from 4 millenia ago) for 4 year olds?!

We did it. Somehow or another we talked about these feasts and festivals... we were honest with the students... this is not story, this is about rules and organization/ wisdom and culture/ worship and practice.... and yes, this part of the Bible can be boring. Maybe some of them got that and maybe not.

Tomorrow...well, that is another day! I cannot wait to tell about how Jesus celebrated during the Festival of Booths.

Narrative or not, what has become fresh for me again this year is that WE are IN God's story of healing, redeeming, and saving people. Thanks be to God that no person is forgotten. We've only to tell our part of the story.

No comments: