Friday, January 28, 2011

Getting My Geekness On!

Who knew that all the hours I spent in college watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, hosting Trek viewing parties with my roommate, and decorating our dorm room via Star Trek Christmas ornaments that would randomly say, "Shuttle craft to Enterprise, Spock here!"- would hit the big pay off in local church ministry?!

Yep, all those Star Trek novels I read, all the Star Trek movies I have watched, and the thousands of hours I have spent viewing all six of the Star Wars movies- now culminate in a fantastic opportunity for me to reveal my geekness with the good people of Calvary UMC.

(By the way- I have attended at least one Star Trek convention, but refrained from wearing a uniform uh...err... costume.)

"Hello Calvary, my name is Michelle and I am a geek."

I have been a science fiction geek since I wandered into the wrong section of my grade school library in Dubuque, Iowa. And I have never looked back. Space, exploration, strange new worlds, tough leadership situations, and goofy characters are what makes sci fi interesting and exciting to me. Or it could just be the special effects.

Whatever it is, my passion or obsession will be revealed in less than five days when I host my first ever Star Wars/Star Trek Bible Study here at church. I hope you'll come. I am nervous. I am thrilled. I am humbled. And I am eager.

As I pour over books, the Bible, movies, and television episodes, I find myself asking a deep question, "Why on earth did it take me this long to finally host such a perfect combination of my two great loves: Christian theology and science fiction?!"

See you Tuesday! "Resistance is futile."

No comments: