Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Double Calendar Debate

Last fall my search for the perfect calendar to keep track of work related things, kid's activities and family events was complete with a trip to the local store. I value a calendar that gives the the entire week at a glance and leaves a whole column for Saturday and one for Sunday (because my weekends are as full as my weekdays.) Contentment came upon me and I was ready for the new year.

Then, it was all ruined on Christmas Day when my mother-on-law (whom I love dearly) gave me a leather bound, scripture laden 2011 calendar. Yikes! I couldn't take either back. Muddling through the situation nearly ruined my cold vacation in Florida.

Then a moment of creative Spirit burst forth. I would use both. But in different ways and for different purposes.

My secular week-at-a-glance calendar would serve as I intended....but my new leather bound, scripture reference on each page, and suggested reading plan on each day calendar would be my Prayer Journal. I haven't done this form of journaling in decades. So it is time to resume the spiritual discipline.

Now, each day I write down who I am praying for (and why). Or I write down situations, people, events. Who knows... maybe your name is in my journal right now! :)

Because prayers of thanksgiving and praise are often overlooked or easily forgotten... each day I write one or two of those down as well. I am pleased and excited about my little 'project'... but more than that I am eager for the pasting of time and accumulation of entries so that I can go back... and trace the footprints of God at work in and around me. Maybe my faith will grow.

So, how is your calendar growing your faith?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've just stumbled upon your blog and I have to say, you are incredible fascinating! I'm looking forward to reading your blog and hopefully help further my own relationship with God.

THIS entry makes a lot of sense. I'm going to have to seriously think about doing that. I've started countless scripture journals, but never really finished them. Maybe I can use you as that extra push I need?