Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How We Really Are

Yesterday afternoon during my phone conversation with my favorite mother in law (I have only one, but she is terrific!)- she asked me, after I inquired about her final five chemotherapy treatments, how I was. Her question stopped me in my tracks.

Here I was talking with her, packing her a care package of frozen goodies, trying to clean the house, start supper, do a load of our dog's laundry (yes our dog has laundry), sort the mail, set the table, and put away the clean clothes.

And she really wanted to know how I was. Her question was not a passing polite inquiry that expected a polite but short noncommittal answer. When my mother in law wants to know how I am doing- she is genuinely interested.

But because my mind and body were elsewhere in the doing of too many things because I was a half day behind in my rountine- it took me a few moments to adjust and offer an honest assestment. What a wonderful gift she gave me- to ask and really mean it, to wait for me to access how I am, and then to listen long enough for my answer.

Wonder how often I give that gift to others?

My spiritual direction group who have been meeting quarterly since 2002 have a traditional question we share after food, hugs, and warm hellos. We ask, "Now, how are you really?" No polite answers. You must commit to your comments and thoughts. And we listen long and hard to one another. It is a wonderful time of sharing.

Since the gift has been given to me- I feel compelled to share it with others.

So- how are you really?

No comments: