Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dog Blog...is back!

For all the fans out there who enjoy a good blog about my 83 pound yellow lab- here it is!

Last week was Pet Week in my daughter's preschool class. You can imagine the commotion involved with pets visiting all week long. Of course, my number #1 daughter wanted to show off her pet. "I want my friends to see Duke!"

I tried to talk her out of it.

Suggestions were made of taking in his puppy scrapbook, showing tuffs of his fur instead, or even web cam'ing the event rather than bringing the poor animal into an overcrowded kid filled classroom. Did I mention that I failed to change her mind?

She is stubborn just like our dog.

Of course, Duke- if you could ask him- was up for the experience. It involved his favorite things: getting to ride in the car, meeting new people, getting attention, smelling new smells, getting more attention, etc. He didn't care what it would do to my schedule or how his feet would leave imprints of wetness everywhere. He wanted to go, go go!

We went. And surprisingly he did better than I thought he would. He only attempted to jump onto the grownups (because they didn't bend down to pet him). He sniffed the frightened girls twice (which he needs to work on). He did his 2 tricks (while leaving behind tuffs of his fur). And he knocked down a kid with a swoosh of his otter tail.

The problem was the kids- the more they squealed and the higher the pitch became the more excited and feverish Duke became. So- we need to work on that.

All told I would give him a B- on his behavior.

Me- well after it was all over and I took him home- he had a big drink of water and I needed a nap!

No comments: