Saturday, August 8, 2009

My Dislike for Cancer

For a while now I've been fussing and fuming over cancer. I've seen way too much and pain and suffering to ignore this menance. And presided over too many funerals.

Last week I was muttering and whining to my husband about cancer: why it exists, why does it seem more prevalent; when will it end etc. Well, his response back stopped me in my tracks (and got me to shut up) when he said, "Michelle, you realize we are all born with cancer. Dysfunctional cells are always dormant in our bodies and it is just a matter of something activating them."

That got me to thinking. Thinking theologically that is. Cancer is a part of the human condition just as sin, death and disease are. It came into our lives somewhere during Chapter 3 of Genesis. Because that is when it entered this fallen world... it is waiting to be redeemed by the final victory of Jesus.

And I guess, even though I am not sure the BIG END is tomorrow, I have new hope that cancer will have an end because God's ending to time will finish if off better than chemo treatments and radiation therapy. I just wish it was in the lifetimes of those who I love and care about... because they deserve more than the suffering they experience.... and yet God never promised our lives would be void of suffering, only that God would not leave us alone in our suffering.

1 comment:

Todd Outcalt said...

Wow, three blogs in one day. That's impressive.
Todd