Saturday, August 8, 2009

Family Reunions

Everybody has them. (I hope.) We all have our favorite stories from these freak events in our lives when relatives you barely send Christmas cards to descend upon a park, restaurant or someone's home for hours of talking, talking, and more talking.

My family had one today. Our preschooler survived three hours of relatives in a dimply lit BBQ restaurant... then she had to go!! (Don't blame her- there wasn't much for her to get out of the experience and no playground to play on.)

We were 6 months old, Quinn, to 89 years & 11 months old, Wayne. There were four generations of us. And only three left from the oldest generation- the greatest generation. These precious ones were as honored as the littlest one who was passed around and around and around.

We represent the families and descendents of four brothers who came from a God fearing, earth toiling Hoosier couple. Their farm is here in Hendricks County. And now we are spread across at least four states.

I've been attending this reunion for my entire life and I am still baffled. Why do we get together? What is the point? Only my portion of this family do I see more often than this once-a-year-event. Long ago I thought I would understand this event when I got older. Now I am older and I still don't get it. What am I missing?

The whole thing remains a mystery to me and yet I continue to go... why? Somebody tell me why?

No comments: