Saturday, June 6, 2009

Guys and Grass

What is up with guys and grass? Even though we've lived in our current neighborhood for over three years, I am still baffled by the intimate and often prideful connection between men and their lawns.

Guys on our street gather on our sidewalks to compare lawn care services, techniques and the gossip around the area. They discuss the best deals on bulk mulch and rent as a group this giant contraption that puts holes in the lawn (which, I think, look like stubby worms everywhere).

The benefit of all this effort- beautiful homes and gardens. Grass, shrubs and trees are better manicured than my finger nails. It is a good thing, really.

My husband and and I were asked recently if our neighborhood was 'nice' by a prospective new neighbor. My hubbie laughed and said, "only if you're willing to work on your yard." I have heard the guys discussing which neighbors are not caring for their overgrown shrubs, shaggy grass, and awkward landscapes. Often times they offer to help out this 'slacking neighbor' (which sometimes is another excuse to use a new tool more often) and mostly about making our section of the world beautiful.

With all that said, I gotta go mow the lawn. All this rain has caused it to grown again.

Oh no- I've got it too.

No comments: