Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mid-Week Message Re-visited

Honoring our saints will be our focus in worship this Sunday. I don't mean the Saints as in the New Orleans based NFL team. We are not having a pep rally of that kind. But we will rally around our faith-filled women and men who have honored God by living and dying well.

All Saints Sunday, as some of you know, is one of my favorite Sundays during the church calendar year. My husband thinks I am morbid because I tell the funniest funeral stories until I laugh so hard I run to the nearest bathroom. Church members inform me that it's odd that I would rather preside over a funeral than a wedding. (Have you ever tried to work with hyper, over-wrought mothers of the bride before? Whew. Dead people have much more realistic expectations.)

Maybe my preference for this special day comes from the All Saints Sunday in which my Grandfather, Grant Lowe was honored in worship. That morning was so meaningful to be with my church family who paused again to recognize his life and death. The experience of hearing his name read, vibrations of the bell toll, and receiving a white flower was yet another explosion of God's healing grace within my family's grief.

Maybe I like this Sunday because we get a chance to peek into heaven and talk about it yet again. It could be that it is another opportunity for God to prepare me for my own death or the deaths of my loved ones.

Or maybe I like All Saints Day because I am morbid and odd.

Whatever the reason-I am grateful that I can sit with the mystery of this day within the body of Christ! See you this All Saints Sunday!

No comments: