Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Walking Prayers

Last summer after our pup arrived at our house, my husband got me addicted to a TV show on National Geographic called The Dog Whisperer. I learned that exercise is one of the most important aspects to healthly, balanced dogs.

Since that time, an evening walk is a common feature and routine in our house. Our preschooler rides or drives her tricycle and we walk our dog. It is a great time to be together as a family and our dog LOVES to walk with us. He gets very excited when we put on our shoes and reach for the leash.

I discovered another benefit to walking as a family. We now met and greet many of our neighbors in our neighborhood. Some of whom are walking dogs, riding bikes, running, or working in their yards.

When the walk involves only my dog and I; it becomes a sacred journey. During those quiet times I pray for our little neighborhood community. I know who is battling cancer, who is recovering from surgery, which houses have new babies in them, and which houses are trying to sell. Sometimes I don't know anything new in the houses along the street but, I pray anyway for the marriages, families, and finances within their walls. Prayer truly is a spiritual discipline. It is training ground just like walking or jogging that builds up spiritual muscle and tone.

I encourage you to find unique ways to practice the discipline of prayer, mediation and/or reflection. Our world needs praying people- we make a difference; because we open oursleves up for the Difference (i.e. our Trinune God) to become a reality within us.

See you on the next walk!

No comments: