Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Give me some Jesus, please!

This Sunday we are anticipating the Sacrament of Holy Communion. Churches and denominations vary on how frequently the sacrament is offered... first Sunday of the month is our Sunday! I am excited! I enjoy sharing the Feast with Fellow Believers! But one thing has always bothered me.

My Holy Communion pet peeve, if you will, is known to some Women Retreatants and other members of our congregation. I am baffled and even dissappointed and mostly down-hearted to witness wonderful children (adults, grandparents, children, youth) of God coming forward to receive the bread and barely pinching off a crumb! What is this?

Do you think we will run out of bread on Sundays? Not so, we have extra in the sacristry. Are you embarassed to take more? Jesus is offering himself to you in the precious gift and all you take is a crumb? How is that going to sustain you through the difficulties of life!?!?!?! It isn't.

Break off a nice big bite! Grab a chunk. Get a lot of Jesus, I say. I need him and I am not ashamed or embarassed to grab a big bite because I am hungry for what will truly satisfy.

So, Calvary folks be aware that there is plenty of bread for all... there is plenty of Jesus (he won't run out of peace, forgivenss, grace, compassion, protection, provision etc.). Take a nice big bite so that you can 'dunk' it into the cup of blessing and a get good soaking of blessing! (We have carpets under the communion servers so don't worry about leaving drops of grape juice!)

Come on, down and get something to eat at the Table of our Lord, this Sunday!

See you there and bring your appettites.

No comments: