Thursday, April 12, 2012

Resurrection Re-Cap

Holy Week and subsequently Easter resonated deep for me this year. 

As a young person growing up I often spent this holy day and holiday with my Lowe Grandparents on their farm in Lizton, Indiana.  This was my first Easter without both of them... as they enjoyed Easter together in the kingdom to come.  What a joy that must be for them!  And how grateful I am for all my Easter memories of these two wonderful, loving people. 

So I wept throughout our opening hymn on Easter morning to the organ, brass, handbells, and the amazing voices lifted in song!  I was almost too emotional to offer the invocation... but then again, I have been told by more than one parishioner that it is a gift to witness your pastor moved to tears in worship. 

As the mother of a young grade school student who still treasures the surprises of the Easter Bunny and the trappings of egg hunts, treasure hunts and easter goodies- this Easter was a joy again!  Her delight to follow a trail of weird and wacky clues which ultimately led to her discovery of the purple princess crown Easter Basket was contagious!  And she still was finding filled eggs on Monday morning after Easter... the egg hunt continued for 24 hours plus...

So I laughed it up and enjoyed it all... soaking in the wonder of "being in wonder"!

As the daughter in law of a woman who is facing her third round of treatments for cancer... I was moved to tears throughout Easter... aware of the fragility of life; aware of the deep pain and sorrow illness brings; mindful of the hurting hearts of those with whom I love; and simply grateful that my God and our God is bigger than brain cancer... or any illness or any sorrow. 

Because He lives... we live also.  That is a promise that continues to re-shape how I live my life of faith. 

No comments: