Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Holy Week

Our local school system will begin their Spring break before we even start Palm/Passion Sunday.  That means in affect... we have no idea how to plan attendance at our Holy Week services and what volunteers we can rely on to sing, prepare, help, or serve at our multiple worship services. 

One of my staff colleagues said two years ago that, "Holy Week is bigger than Christmas because we cram more into less time than all the season of Advent and Christmas."  Yes, we expect to serve yet again through our three Easter worship services over a thousand folks with the 'faithful remnant' providing the service. 

No wonder I am already exhausted and spiritual 'toast' before we even begin Holy Week.  No Florida sunshine for me and the crew... rather our focus is all about our Lord's suffering, death and resurrection.  Or maybe our focus is on the details encompassing bulletins and chairs, pastries and greeters, musicians and parking lot attendants. 

All of this hoopla so that others can know Him.  I hope they can find Him through our smelly Easter lilies, hand baked muffins, and brass & organ voluntaries.  At least I hope I can find Him in the midst of my busy preparations. 

Or maybe He will find me...huddled up in a corner of the sanctuary with black-inked fingers from folding bulletions, sneezing uncontrollably from all the Easter pollen, and jacked up on a sugar high from the Easter donut glaze. 

Find me, Jesus.  And resurrect me from the busyness of church business.  Amen.

1 comment:

Todd Outcalt said...

Yes, we need to be raised, too. Always wanted to preach a sermon entitled, "Is there life after Easter?" I think this is the larger question for folks.