Thursday, October 27, 2011

Grandparents- rock!

An unforeseen result of folks sharing their condolences with me has been to hear of many other grandparent stories! Fresh tears have welled up in the eyes of these grown ups who've told me about a grandmother or grandfather who was particularly special.

Perhaps I should not be surprised. But I have been amazed to hear many other grandchildren tell their pride and admiration stories for a grandparent who was special. Lots of love is transmitted within these stories and tears.

I hope I have the privilege of being a grandparent one day... to pay forward the gift grandparenting was to me toward another generation within the family tree. Wisdom, love, support, presence, hope, and faith, perspective: these are all contributions grandparents make to their children's children.

To all the grandparents among us- you rock! To all the grandchildren among us- you rock too! Because the push and pull of this special rapport and bond is definitely best observed as a mutual loving connection across the chasm of time, generation, and life experience... but it is a significant bonding that links more than generations together.

So I say to my biological grandparents who are all now in heaven: Grandpa Grant and Grandma Betty Jo, Grandpa Michael and Grandma Florence; Blest be the tie that binds! I shall remember you to my children's children...

No comments: