Saturday, May 7, 2011

To My Mom

At twenty something, my mom had me in the middle of the busy month of May in Speedway, Indiana. Yep, they worried about Indy 500 race traffic blocking their path to the hospital. For a variety of unplanned reasons I was the only child my parents had. So because of me my mother is a mom.

I give her credit because she gave me (along with my father) all the essentials a kid needs: food, shelter, health care, love & attention. She also made sure I had music, creativity and joy. She was my Girl Scout leader, Sunday School teacher and Band Booster parent.

My Mom also made sure I had Jesus. And the longer I live the more and more grateful I am that she not only told me about Jesus, taught me to pray, read to me the Bible, sang spiritual songs & hymns to me, and took me to church, but more than that my Mom showed me what an engaging relationship with the Creator of the Universe is like.

Just as she feed me vitamins which I later hid in the houseplants; my mother walked me into the world of conversations with the supernatural and Divine.

With that sort of treasure.. flowers and candy don't seem to 'cut it' as an appreciation gift.

Instead, tonight I shall a little pray of thanks for my Mom... and pray for mothers everywhere that they too will model and invite their children into a relationship of faith.

God bless you Mom. I love you.

And God bless mothers everywhere!

No comments: