Thursday, April 8, 2010

Faith Muscle

Lent happened to me this year very differently than in year's past. And even though Easter has come among us once again...I still feel the weight and heaviness associated with a season of preparation, penance, and inner reflection.

Mostly that has to do with who I am called to companion this Lent and now Easter tide. A variety of people whom I love very much are dealing with really tough, hard things in their lives; illness of a child, loss of multiple jobs, diagnosis of a terminal disease, loss of financial security, struggles within a marriage relationship, and recovery from an eating disorder addiction. While these situations are not mine, they are happening to people whom I hold precious in my heart.

Thus, I feel called to be a spiritual companion these folks and their sorrow. And I am listening very hard for the Holy Spirit to guide me in this form of companionship. How to be present, what to say, what not to say, how to pray and what not to pray are my daily prayers of discernment.

This is heavy stuff. And I find like I do when I am building muscle strength in my yoga work- that I am stretching and strengthening muscles of my soul like never before. I have aches in my soul like I ache after a rigorous workout! I never realized that companioning others would re-condition my faith muscle. (Maybe burn some unwanted stuff like fat - that would be a bonus!) But this ministry I am about does indeed build muscle within.

Like athletes do after rigorous workouts- diet and hydration- become important for me as well. Muscles need fuel to grow strong. So too does my soul. What better food than a new and different Bible reading program! (see http://www.youversion.com/ to create yours) What better thirst quenching power than sharing in prayer with friends, my spiritual director, the Sophia Sisters, my covenant group, and my church-faith community!

Perhaps all this is God's way to make me become spiritually buff?!

Who knows, but at the least I hope my loved ones realize that they are not alone in the heavy burdens that they carry. They have a companion-helpmate in me.

May you be such a companion to those in your life.

No comments: