Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Orthodoxy Meets...Well, Little Ol' Me

What does a Duke t-shirt and blue jean clad protestant do when she stumbles upon a fellowship hall full of twenty Russian and Greek Orthodox priests?

The priests were wearing their long black linen robes and long pointy beards...smiling as if this sort of thing happens every day. A beautiful blond clergywoman must stumble into their small group meetings daily because the happy little man who found me trying every door in the vestibule (for a non-existent escape hatch) seemed not at all phased by my presence.

Well, I didn't ask what they thought about the Trinity and who proceeds from whom.. that was a bust in 1094 or so. Nor did I inquire about their favorite icon trading cards... that too didn't go over well either. The Great Crusades and various take-overs of Jerusalem throughout Medieval history also are taboo topics. But if you must know what happened...

...I was lost so, I asked for directions.

Profound and providential, really.

Yep, the delightful priest saved me from a historic vestibule full of doors... all of them not leading to the place I sought: an incense-smelling-crammed-with-fading-icons bookstore with a book awaiting for me. My black robed angel cheerfully led me past his chattering colleagues around a couple of corners and into the haven of treasures.

My gratitude spilled out into a stack of books that I had to bring home...after I met the most outgoing nun who broods over her books like they are her preschool students. Parting with several was sweet sorrow for her. With promises to return and tell her how I enjoyed them ... she helped me find the way out.

Only the door was locked!

(Hmmm...perhaps that is their church growth method- get us in for great reading material and then never allow us to leave?!)

It was quite an unorthodox encounter with orthodoxy!




No comments: