Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Facing Up to Facebook

Less than ten days ago I took the plunge into the cyber-net world of Facebook. Previously, I had been leery of Facebook users (even though I know many) because well, they seemed a bit cult-ish. Being a Christ follower I know a bit about cults so I was...well, hesitant "to put myself out there".

Mostly I think it was because I've never had all my friends in one place before and I wasn't sure if anyone still 'liked' me. What if I got un-friended by not even having enough friends to participate? To appreciate this weird little phobia of mine you need to know something of my life. Coming from a background in which my family moved me every three years while growing up (yes- that was 3 states and 8 schools before graduating High School), I was always saying 'hello' to someone new or saying 'goodbye' to someone familiar.

The only friend who stayed constant in my life, Jamie, never even went to the same school as me (our families were friends). My friendship with her gives me hope that I can sustain long term friendships (even into a fourth decade...).

Now via this internet phenomena, my motely collection of friends from all those grade schools (yes...I am finding people I knew in grade school four states ago), high school, college, Divinity School, CPE, my first congregation out of seminary, and my current congregation...are in one place! Never before have I been able to connect with so many parts and places of my journey before. Imagine the jagged quilt pieces of your life suddenly woven together! I feel whole.

And get this- I found out that people I once knew have been looking for me. Little ol' me?! Isn't that a great feeling of want and acceptance, love and assurance?! No wonder our world is addicted to Facebook- we are hungry for home.

And the greatest gift as I look into the lives of people I knew 26, 20, 15 and 10 years ago is... the majority of them are in the other cult I am in...they are Christ followers too.

So, truly my collection of friends on Facebook is just a tiny, human glimpse of what heaven will be like as all the faithful will be gathered together. We just won't need a prolife picture anymore!

No comments: