Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Grandma's Charge Conference

Earlier this fall an invitation arrived in the mail for me and others to attend, "This Ain't Your Grandma's Charge Conference!" My interest was tweaked.

What is a Grandma's charge conference, really?!

I am just young enough that my grandmother still lives. In fact she attends my congregation so this could be 'her charge conference' as well as mine. But I know that my attendance at our charge conference on Sunday did bring the average age down to only about 61.

Charge conference for grandmothers could be a group of blue hair'd ladies sipping tea and flashing one another grandkid photos on their iphones. That might be fun for some.

Or it could be a meeting where you vote on stuff no one has read nor will read about stuff no one really cares about while sitting on uncomfortable folding chairs in a small room with too many people. That wasn't as much fun.

The only thing worse than Charge Conference (my grandmother's or this year's) is Check Day when we do the same sort of things- numbers on papers that no one uses or reads.

Provocative, informative, life-changing, kingdom-building, exciting, and enjoyable- these are the things charge conference ain't.

Post Script: I don't think my grandmother has attended a charge conference for four decades.

No comments: