Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Goddaughter

My goddaughter likes to color. In fact, she is quite good at it for being only 3 years old. Stays within the lines, varies her color choices, and is very committed to finishing a picture before starting another one.

Last week while she spent the day with my five year old daughter and I, this little artist followed me around the house. She made a nest of her crayons and coloring books in each room as I dusted, cleaned, and scrubbed. Her presence was a gift of companionship.

But, what is most remarkable about my goddaughter is her life. A year before her birth my goddaughter's parents had exhausted all possibilities for fertility and carrying a baby full term. Don't ask how many miscarriages they went through. Just know it was too many. They began the process of application to adopt a child.

Wouldn't you know- months into the adoption process- God does indeed still favor couples who are barren! Grace's conception and healthy delivery were a gift just as her name implies. She is an undeserved and unearned present from God to not only her parents and my family, but a reminder to all peoples that God does indeed go before us.

So, if you see me bopping around town with two little blond girls- one brown eyed and the other blue eyed- now you'll know the story behind my other girl.

No comments: