Friday, October 9, 2009

Writing Exercise

The writer down the hall from me (aka Todd "the writer") is a maniac! We're working on this book together and he is so far ahead of me it isn't even funny. (He probably regrets signing this deal because I am such a slow poke.) We will make this deadline- at least I will make his deadline to get my stuff to him.

It isn't my typing that is slow. Although I could have used more years of piano lessons to help me. My editing isn't that bad either although I dread editing. I have learned a few new things to make editing quicker.

Mostly, I have to sit with these Bible characters and wait on them to talk to me. I know it sounds like I'm having a mental health-reality breakdown, but I am really not. Just gathering the Muse and hoping she will talk to me and tell me what is interesting, fascinating, and engaging to help grown ups get a kick out of their Bible reading. I want Bible reading to be fun and exciting. That is not asking much, is it? I want to help create conversations that will aid folks in understanding themselves and our lives under God's plan better.

Lofty and lovely goals, but would the muse happen already. Ack! Rainy days and busy schedules with my husband out of town are not helping this process move quicker.

I gotta go write more! No breaks. No stopping. Housework, feeding the kid, taking the dog out to go to the bathroom, paying the bills- they'll have to wait. (Although I cannot pull an over- nighter like my mentor Todd. Gave that up with breastfeeding years ago.) I gotta write so I'll quit dreaming about these Old Testament characters...

No comments: